Ground Zero - In more than one sense.

I met my work colleague's son, Bogdan, recently and got onto the subject of craft beers in Romania (as you do).  He suggested I visit the Hangar Gastropub, also the location of the Ground Zero brewery.  It seemed a good plan...

Using my trusty Google Maps app, I ended up in a developing office area of north Bucharest - a couple of Metro stops from where I stay.  The app directed me around the back of a small industrial estate to a location where it was sure a brewery existed.  This took some believing as the photo of the apparent location shows below:

Spot the clearly signed entrance




It was only the collection of tables and chairs behind the seacontainer that gave it away.  I peered through the blue door and, yep, sure enough it was a deserted bar/brewery.







The brewery was in the back room and was an impressive selection of stainless steel (as one should expect).  The barman confirmed they were open and I set about the menu.

Must get busy at other times



Not too many customers on this Saturday afternoon.  I assume that on summer afternoons the place is busy with thirsty office staff - but not today.  For the whole visit, I was the only customer.






The beer menu was good.  I had, of course, to start with an Imperial F**k - as anyone would. This is a 9% imperial IPA and a good start.   I went for the 400 mls - maybe a smaller one would have been a better start.  At 16 Lei/400 mls, it was a good price.



Next up was Split the Pot. This was a lighter (7%) New England IPA and I suspect one of the best going there.  I ended up with a Morning Glory (an America IPA) at a more sensible 6% (all quite high in alcohol). 



All three beers were very good and, despite being all IPAs, quite different.  Ground Zero brewery is well worth a visit, maybe on a warmer day and with some more customers.  Morning Glory can be found in a few craft beer pubs in Bucharest as a draft but the others are usually only in bottles. 


Highly recommended. 

Brewery website is https://groundzerobeer.ro/ - but currently under construction.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fabrica de Bere Buna - Romanian Craft Beer

A start