Mikkellar in Bucharest

On Saturday, following a recommendation from a work colleague, I walked up to the Mikkeler bar on the Piatsa Charles de Gaulle.  I'd not heard of the place so a bit unsure of what to expect.  All I knew was that it was a bit pricey.

It is a small bar upstairs over a popular coffee shop.  The balcony was full of a group celebrating something (I later figured they were Germans here for the weekend).


Bar Menu
Seemed most of the beer was imported from Denmark, hence the prices (31 Lei = GBP 5.60 for 400 mls) - probably the most expensive beer I have had in Romania.

They also had a couple of local craft beers (Ground Zero's Morning Glory and Hop Hooligan's Crowd Control).


Weird Weather







I stated with a Mikkeller Weird Weather, a light IPA with moderate IBU.  It was very good, easily quaffable though at a hefty 6.7% according to the menu.


I moved onto the now-empty balcony for the next, which was Green Gold, their hoppiest beer.  This was darker in colour and came in at 7% so not really a session beer.  Sun was out and it was a good way to spend an hour on a Saturday.


Green Gold

It had rapidly become apparent that this was a chain though I'd not heard of it before.  My son, Edward, tells me that one has been open for a short while in London.  Seems Bucharest is quite honoured to have an outlet.

I asked the barman about importing of the beer etc. and he said that, of all the Mikkellers in Europe, this was the cheapest prices.  So, knowing London's general pricing, I can't imagine the cost for a pint there...

It was a successful visit. I'd like to try other beers they have but there are other local craft beers available in the city which are as good, but better priced.

Mikkeller is well worth a visit.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fabrica de Bere Buna - Romanian Craft Beer

A start

Ground Zero - In more than one sense.